Reward Strategies for Franchising Organizations
Franchising organizations have peculiar characteristics that distinguish them from other organizations. In view of this, incentive systems that are effective in some organizations may not be appropriate to franchising organizations. In this article, a model is developed for rewarding managers and executives of franchising organizations. This model is based upon the concept of the organization life cycle, and examines reward strategies from the perspective of both the franchisor and the franchisee.
2. Balkin, David B. and James W. Logan. "Reward Policies that Support Entrepreneurship,"Journal of Compensation and Benefits Review, 20 ( 1988), 18-25.
3. Balkin, David B. and L.R. Gomez-Mejia. "Entrepreneurial Compensation," Readings in Personnel and Human Resource M anagement , 3rd ed. Eds. R.S. Schuler and S.A. Youngblood (St. Paul , MN: West Publishing Co., 1988).
4. Boe, Kathryn L., William Ginalski , and Debanks M. Henward, III. The Franchise Option (Washington, D.C.: International Franchise Association, 1987), 5-11.
5. Boroian, Donald and Patrick J. Boroian. The Franchise Advantage (Schaumberg, IL: National Bestseller Corp., 1987), 203-09.
6. Chan, Peng S. and Robert T. Justis. "Franchise Management in East Asia," Academy of Management Executive (May, 1990), 75- 85.
7. Justis, Robert T. and Richard J. Judd. Franchising (Cincinnati, OH: South-Western Pub lishing Co., Inc., 1989).
8. Keating, William J. Franchising Advisor (New York: McGraw-- Hill Book Company, 1987), I0-16.
9. Kimberly, J.R. and R.H. Miles. The Organizational Life Cycle (San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1980).
I0. Martin, Robert E. "Franchising and Risk Management," The American Economic Review, 78 (December, 1988), 954-68.
11. Mathewson, G. Frank and Ralph A. Winter. "The Economies of Franchise Contracts," The Journal of Law and Economies , 28 (October, 1985), 503-26.
12. McCranie, Burgess E. "Franchising," Franchising World, (July/August, 1989).
13. Miller, D. and P.H. Friesen. "A Longitudinal Study of the Corporate Life Cycle," Management Science, 30 (1984), 1161-83.
14. Quinn, R.E. and K.S. Cameron. "Organizational Life Cycles and Shifting Criteria of Effectiveness: Some Preliminary Evidence," Management Science (1983), 33-51.
15. Tarlmtton, Lloyd T. Franchising: The How-To Book (Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice- Hall, Inc., 1986), 5-11.
16. Whetten, D.A. "Organizational Growth and Decline Processes," Annual Review of Sociology, 13 (1987), 335-58.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.