Are Small Businesses Falling through the GAAP?
Professional accountants have long recognized the need for a change in the reporting requirements for small businesses because standard setting agencies focus on large firms and promulgate GAAPs which ignore special problems of small firms. We propose a procedure which may correct the problem in the United States and which could provide a model for use in other countries .
2. Gibson, R . "Differential Reporting for Small Business Entities," The Chartered Accountant in Australia , 58 (September, 1987), 16-18.
3. Keasey, K. and R. Watson. "The Prediction of Small Company Failure: Some Behavioral Evidence for the UK," Accounting and Business Research , 17 (Winter, 1986), 49-57.
4. Knutson, D.L. and H. Wichmann. "GAAP Disclosures: Problem for Small Business?"Journal of Small Business Management , 22 (January, 1984), 38-46.
5. Lippitt, J. and N. Oliver. "Big GAAP, Little GAAP: Fi nancial Reporting in the Small Business Environment," Jo1•rnal of Small Business Management , 21 (July, 1983), 52-57.
6. Robinson, R. "The Importance of 'Outsiders' in Small Firm Strategic Planning," Academy of Management Journal , 25 (1982), 80-93.
7. Solomons, D. "The Political Implications of Accounting and Accounting Standard Setting,"Accounting and Business Research , 13 (Spring, 1983), !07-18.
8. Stanga, K. and M. Tiller. "Needs of Loan Officers for Accounting Information from Large versus Small Companies," Accounting and Business Research , 14 (Winter, 1983), 63-70.
9. "The FASB Responds to Small Business," The CPA Journal , 57 (January, 1987), 16ff.
10. Upton, W. "The FASB and Small Business: An Update," Journal of Accountancy, 163 (June, 1987), 136-40.
11. Upton, W. and C. Ostergaard. 'The FASB Response to Small Business,"' Journal of Accoun tancy, 161 (May, 1986), 94-100.
12. Zavgren, C. "The Prediction of Failure: The State of the Art," Journal of Accounting Literature (Spring, 1983).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.