Entrepreneurial Opportunities in the Wholesale Sector: A Predictive Model
Wholesaling plays a crucial role in the success or failure of small businesses and the location decision is perhaps the most critical strategy decision to be made by wholesalers. Yet, there is little in the way of analytical tools to help prospective wholesalers with this decision. This paper presents an empirically tested model, based on a conceptual foundation, that is intended to help entrepreneurs predict wholesaling opportunities .
2. Burghardt, A. "A Hypothesis About Gateway Cit ies," Annals of the Association of American
Geographers, 61 ( 1971), 270-84.
3. Carlino, G. "Declining City Productivity and the Growth of Rural Regions: A Test of Alter
native Explanations," Journal of Urban Emnomics, 18 (1985), 11-27.
4. Depanment of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. County Business Pauerns (Washi ngton, D.C.:
U.S. Government Printing Office, 1977, 1982 & 1987).
5. Depanment of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. Census of Wholesale Trade (Washington , D.C.: U.S.
Government Printing Office, 1980, 1985 & 1990).
6. Depanment of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. County-City Dara Book (Washington, D.C.:
U.S. Government Printing Office, 1983 & 1988).
7. Depanment of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. Statistical Abstract of the
(Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1989).
8. Dun & Bradstreet. Business Failure Record (New York: Dun & Bradstreet, 1981 - 1982).
9. Ironside, R. & D. Peterson. "Edmonton's Wholesale Relationships With Nonhwest Canada,"
Canadian Geographer, 26 (1982), 207-23.
10. Levey, J. Urban and M etropolitan Economics (New York: McGraw-Hill , 1985).
II. Lord. J. "Shifts in the Wholesale Trade Status of U.S. Metropolitan Areas," The Professional
Geographer, 36 (1984), 51-63.
12. Jumper, S. "Wholesale Marketing of Fresh Vegetables," Annals of the Association of American
Geographers. 64 (1974), 387-96.
13. Revzan, D. The Marketing Significance of Geographical Variations in Wholesale/Retail Sales
Ratios (Berkley: Institute of Business and Economic Resean:h, University of California, 1966).
14. Rosenbloom, B. M arketing Channels: A Management View (Hinsdale: Dryden Press, 1978).
15. Van Voorhis, J. 1980. Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management (Boston: Allyn and Bacon,1980).
16. Vance, J. The Merchant' s World: The Geography of Wholesaling (Englewood Cliffs: Prentice Hall, 1971).