Service Characteristics and Yellow Pages Advertising Effectiveness
Advertising in the Yellow Pages often constitutes an important component of promotional strategy for many small businesses. For some, these directories may be their sole means of advertising. This stud y examines the role of consumer Yellow Pages in the information search patterns of an increasingly important market segment , young adults, for a selected group of ten services. Findings from this stud y suggest that Yellow Pages are more likely to be used as an information source when subjects are searching for certain services than for other services. Furthermore, results indicate that certain characteristics of a service may influence the likelihood of a consumer consulting these directories. Practical implications on how to make the most out of Yellow Pages advertising are discussed .
2. Allen, BruceH.,Richard A. Wright, and LouisE.Raho. "Physicians and Advertising,"Journal of Health Care Marketing 5 (Fall, 1985), 39-49.
3. American Association of Yellow Pages Publishers. Yellow Pages Update (1987).
4. Becker, Boris W. and Dennis 0. Kaldenberg. "Advertising Expenditu res by Profes sionals: An Exploratory Investigation of Dental Practitioners,"Journal of Advertising 19 (No.1, 1990), 23-29.
5. Cobb-Walgren, Cathy J. and Halina Sleszynski. "Responses to Physician Advertising in the Yellow Pages," Current Issues and Research in Advertising (1987), 123-152.
6. Cooper-Martin, Elizabeth and Debra Lynn Stephens. "AIDS Preventions Through Consumer Communication: Ideas.from Past and Current Research," in Advances in Consumer Research, eds. Marvin E. Goldberg and Gerald Gorn, Vol. 17 (Provo, UT: Association for Consumer Research, 1990), 288-293.
7. Crane, F.G. "Choice Criteria and Cue Usage in Selecting Lawyers," Journal of Professional Services Marketing 5 (No.1, 1989), 113-121.
8. Dollinger, Marc J., "Environmental Contact and Financial Performance of the Small Firm," Journal of Small Business Management 23 (January, 1985), 24-31.
9. Fletcher, Alan D., Yellow Pages Advertising (American Association of Yellow Pages Publishers, 1986).
10. Gumpert, David E. "Growing Concerns,"Harvard Business Review(J uly-August, 1981), 18-
11. Levy, Walter K., "The End of an Era: A Time for Retail Perestroika," Journal of Retailing65 (Fall, 1989), 389-395.
12. Link, The Magazine of the Yellow Pages M edium, "A New Twist on Yellow Pages - Satisfaction Guaranteed," 2 (May/June, 1990), 6.
13. Lusch, Robert F. and Patrick Dunne, Retail M anagement (West Chicago, IL: South western Publishing Co., 1990)
14. Miller, D. and J. Toulouse, "Strategy, Structure and Performance in Small Firms,"American Journal of Small Business 10 (No.1, 1986), 47-62.
15. Patterson, R. A., "Strategic Planning for Small Businesses," in Handbook of Strategic Planning, eds.,). R. Gardner, R. Rachlin and A. Sweeny, (New York: John Wiley, 1986), 24.1- 24.20.
16. Robinson, R. B., J. E. Logan and M. Y. Salem, "Strategic Versus Operational Planning in Small Firms," American Journal of Small Business 10 (No.1, 1986), 7-16.
17. Robinson, R.B. and j.A.Pearce II,"Research Thrusts in Small Firm Strategic Planning."Academy of Management Review (No.1, 1984), 128-137.
18. Rogers, Michael and H. John Steinbreder, "When the Going Gets Tough, Advertise"Fortune 114 (August, 1986), 9.
19. Schneck, Edward. "A Question of Credibility," Link, The Magazine of the Yellow Pages M edium 2 (May/June, 1990), 56.
20. Shrader, Charles B., Charles L. Mulford and Virginia L. Blackbum, "Strategic and Operational Planning. Uncertainty, and Performance in Small Firms," Journal of Small Business Management 27 (October, 1989), 45-59.
21. Smeltzer, Larry R., Gail L. Fann and V. Neal Nikolaisen, "Environmental Scanning Practices in Small Business," Journal of Small Business Management 26 (July, 1988), 55- 62.
22. Taff, John F.D. "First and Ten -The Yellow Pages Tackle the Other Media,"Link, The Magazine of the Yellow Pages Medium 2 (September/October, 1990), 23-27.
23. Tunnicliffe, Guy and Kurt Wildermuth, Yellow Pages Advertising (American Association of Yellow Pages Publishers 1987).
24. U. S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census, Census of Retail Trade (Washington, D.C.: U. S. Government Printing Office, 1987).
25. U. S. Senate Committee on Small Business, Small Business Issues and Priorities (Wash ington, D.C.: U. S. Government Printing Office, 1987).
26. Welsh,John A. and J. F. White, "A Small Business lsNot A Little Big Business,"Haroard Business Review 59 (July- August, 1981), 18-32.
27. Wyman, Jack. "Medical Specialists Get Rx from the ABMS," Link, The Magazine of the Yellow Pages M edium 2 (March/ A pril, 1990), 22.
28. Yellow Pages Publishers Association. "Yellow Pages and the Media Mix," (1989).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.