Factors that Restrict Exports of Small and Medium-sized Firms: The role of Export Financing
The purpose of this study, based on a survey of 354 Florida companies, was to assess factors that limit exports, with particular focus on the different types of export financing that were the most difficult to obtain and the most used . Statistical analysis was used to determine the significance of responses given by different sized firms. Four of the top five factors that limited the ability to export were related either to the lack of available information on export opportunities or the unavailability of export financing . Foreign buyer credit and various unsecured loans were the most difficult to obtain , while commercial letters of credit were the most used . Public and private sector policymakers need to reevaluate their own export promotion programs and make the changes necessary to eliminate the various obstacles to exporting .
2. Czinkota, Michael R . and Wesley J. Johnston. "Exponing: Does Sales Volume Make A Difference?" Journal of International Business Studies (Spring/Summer, 1983), 147-53.
3. Dichtl , Erwin, Hans-Georg Koeglmayr, and Stefan Mueller. "International Orientation As A Precondition For Export Success," Journal of International Business Studies (First Quarter, 1990), 23-40.
4. Dobrzynski, Judith H., John P. Tarpey, and Rebecca Aikman. "Small Is Beautiful,"Businessweek (May 27, 1985), 88-104.
5. Edmunds. Stahr! E. and Sarkis J. Khoury. "Exports: A Necessary Ingredient of Small Business Firms," Journal of Small Business M anllgement (October. 1986), 54-65.
6. Hesler, Susan B. "Export Trading Companies: A Marketing Vehicle for Smal l Textile and Apparel Firms"/" Journlll of Small Business M anagement (October. 1985). 20-27.
7. Holden, Alfred C. "Small Business Can Markel In Europe: Results From A Survey Of U.S. Exporters," Journal of Smllll Business Mllnagement (January, 1986), 22-29.
8. Kalhawala. Yunus, Richard Judd. Mathew Monipallil. and Melinda Weinrich. "Exporting Practices and Problems of Ill inois Firms," Journal oj· Small Business Management (January, 1989). 53-59.
9. Kaynak, Erdener, Preves N. Ghouri. and Torbjom Olafson-Bredenlow. "'Export Behavior of Small Swedish Firms." Journll / of Smllll Business M anagement (April. 1987). 26-32.
10. K nowlton, Christopher. "The New Export En1repreaeurs," Fortune (June 6, 1988), 87-102.
11. O'Rourke, A. Desmond. "Differences in Exporting Practices. Anitudes and Problems by Size of Firm," American Journal of Small Business. 9 (Winter, 1985). 25-29.
12. Reagan. Ronald. State of Small Business: A Report To The President (Washington , D. C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1984). 298-300.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.