Total Quality Management, Just-In-Time, and Their Effect on Small Manufacturers
This paper examines components of TQM /JIT as they relate to small manufacturers. Particularly, those components that specificall y relate to small volume manufacturing firms are discussed within the framework of the authors' experiences with small manufacturers in Southern California. Common difficulties encountered in small businesses in their effort to implement TQM /]IT are examined .
2. Ashton, James E. and Frank X. Cook, Jr., ''Time to Reform Job Shop Manufacturing,''
Harvard Business Reuiew, (March-April, 1989).
3. Avery, S., "Quality is the key to JIT: purchasing is the key to quality," Purchasing,
(February 27, 1986), p. 31.
4. Avery, S., ''Truckers Take to the Road with JIT,'' Purchasing, (October 10, 1985), pp. 70-73.
5. Business America, ''Three Companies Get Malcolm Baldrige Award,'' (December 5, 1988), pp. 2-14.
6. Chen.,Milton M.,'1apaneseQualityand Prod uctivity," Q.C. Trend s, (November1986),
7. Chen, Milton M., "Phase-In Implementation of Total Quality management,'' a paper to be presented at the 44th Annual Quality Congress, American Society for Quality Control, (May 1990).
8. Deming, Edward W., Out of the Crisis, (Center for Advanced Engineering Study, MIT, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1986).
9. Edosomwan, J. A., and C. Marsh, "Streamlining The Materials Flow Process For Just in-Time Production," Ind ustrial Engineering, (January 1989), pp. 46-50.
10. Feigenbaum, A. V., Total Quality Control (New York: McGraw-Hill, 1983).
11. Gun, T. G.,Manufacturing for Competitive Advantage - Becoming a World Class M anufac- turer (Ballinger Publishing Co., 1987).
12. Hall, R W., Attaining Manufacturing Excellence (Dow Jones-Irwin, 1987).
13. Industrial Engineering, "IE News Front,'' (March 1988), p. 6.
14. Ikezawa, Tatsuo, The Do'sand Don 'tsof Total Quality Control,JUSE, Tokyo, Japan, 1981.
(English translation by Milton Chen in 1988)
15. Ishikawa, Kaoru, Guide to Quality Control (Tokyo: Asian Productivity Organization, 1976).
16. Ishikawa, Kaoru, What is Total Quality Control? TheJapanese Way (Prentice-Hall, 1985).
(Translated by David J. Lu )
17. Jackson, J., ''Planning activities offer potential for company improvement,"Industrial
Engineering, (February 1989), p. 8.
18. JuranJ. M.and F. M. GrynaJr.,Quality Planning and Anal ysis (New York: McGraw-Hill, 1980).
19. Manoochehri, G. H., "JIT For Small Manufacturers, "Journal of Small Business Manage ment, (October 1988), pp. 22-30.
20. Manoochehri, G. H., "Improving productivity with the just-in-time system," Journal of
Systems Management, Qanuary 1985), pp. 23-26.
21. Meredith, J. R., "The Strategic Advantages of New Manufacturing Technologies for
Small Firms," Strategic Management Journal, Vol 8, (1987), pp. 249-258.
22. Monden, Y., Toyota Production System (Norcross, Georgia: Industrial Engineering and Management Press, 1983).
23. Reimann, Curt W., 'The Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Improvement Award,"
Quality Progress, Qanuary 1988), pp. 71-73.
24. Schonberger, R.J., "An Assessment of Just-in-Time Implementation, "Readings in Zero Inventory, APICS 27th Annual International Conference Proceedings, (October 9-12, 1984), pp. 57-59.
25. Schonberger, R. J., Japanese Manufacturing Techniques (Free Press, 1986).
26. Simers, D., J. Priest and J. Gary, "Just-In-Time Techniques In Process Manufacturing Reduced Lead Time, Cost; Raise Productivity, Quality," Industrial Engineering, Qanuary 1989), pp. 19-23.
27. Steiner, M. P. and 0. Solem, "Factors for Success in Small Manufacturing Firms,"Journal of Small Business M anagement, Qanuary 1988), pp. 51-56.
28. Stratton, Brad, "Xerox and Milliken Receives Malcolm National Quality Awards,"
Quality Progress, (December, 1989), pp. 17-20.
29. Tomich-Liz, R., Just-in-Time and Its effect on Small Business, Unpublished Masters Thesis, San Diego State University, (Summer 1987).
30. Walleigh, R.C., 'What's yourexcusefornot usingJIT?,"Harvard Business Reuiew, (March April 1986).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.